I’m 25 and live in Ottawa, ON, Canada. I went to the Universiy of King’s College for a degree in journalism, which led to two years as a federal politics reporter on Parliament Hill. Nowadays I do a lot of contract work, which includes content writing and editing, web and graphic design, social media consulting and brand development for individuals and small businesses.
I’m a veritible one woman creative department: well established writer and editor, graphic and web designer, and social media junkie.
I graduated from the University of King’s College in 2014 with double honours in journalism and political science, specializing in digital media. I’ve writen and edited for a number of publications, in both a full-time and freelance capacity, including: iPolitics.ca, the National Post, Daily Xtra, the Telegraph Journal and Vice.
In 2016-2017 I switched gears, studying graphic and web design. I completed an online course through CalArts, Specialization in Graphic Design, offered through Coursera that covered art history and theory, design fundamentals including typography and colour theory, and branding – logo design, brand development, and more.
With those pillars established, I’ve gone on to relearn Adobe’s Photoshop and InDesign because surprisingly the software has updated since I used it last in university. Wireframing and soft coding skills came next, specifially HTML5 and CSS3. Knowing the options and limitations of development have informed my design tremendously and I am constantly learning and pushing those boundaries.
My resumé, in brief.
Contract web and graphic designer, etc.
clairewahlen.ca | Sept. 2016 – Currently
- Designed website pages on a freelance basis, as well as associated grapics, using WordPress, Shopify, and Squarespace;
- Created graphics for social media, blog postings and advertisements;
- Editorial writing, editing, and photography;
- Copy writing and editing for the web;
Federal politics and national security reporter
iPolitics.ca | April 2014 – Jan. 2016
- Reported on national and digital security; some copy editing; live coverage via social media; expanded personal social media brand by approx. 200% while establishing credentials;
- Did investigative reporting involving computer assisted techniques (eg. web scraping);
- Some photography
Dalhousie Gazette | August 2013 – April 2014
- Responsible for a 6-10 page section of a print + digital newspaper; responsible for several dozen reporters, writing weekly; live coverage of union and university administator meetings; organized indepth coverage of the the provincial and municipal elections;
- Was previously Assistant Editor (2013) and Staff Writer (2012);
- Some photography